There is almost nothing I like more, than finding a hobby and making money with it. I have been doing it since I was a teenager, when I was teaching piano lessons after school. There are so many ways to make a living doing the things that you love.
Here is a list of ways to turn your hobbies into money:
- Identify your hobbies. What do you like to do? Are you into making novelty organic soap? Do you have a musical talent? Are you academically talented and love to learn and teach? Are you crafty? Do you love to sew? Identify what you like to do. I love to brainstorm ideas, so grab a notepad and write them down!
- Next, take a look at the market for those things. Do you have a talent that people would pay for? If you can tie a cherry stem with your tongue, while that is *really neat* you probably won’t make money with that. But do you love to sew custom throw pillows? Are you a good teacher and can you tutor children? Try to identify a hobby that people are willing to pay for. The biggest mistake people make in business is that they start businesses that don’t solve problems. The best kind of business ideas are those that offer solutions to other people’s problems.
- Decide on a channel. Is this a web-based business? Can you sell on Etsy? Do you need a website? But to answer that question, yes! 100% of businesses need a website today. You have to be found online, if you want success in your business.
- Start a Website. Don’t let this scare you. If you have never had a website, it is super easy. Read How to Start a Blog to learn as much as you need to know.
- Choose a Domain name and register it at Bluehost. This should be your business name, or as close to it as possible.
- Sign up for a hosting plan, to get your website started. Bluehost is offering my readers an amazing deal on hosting of only $3.49 a month if you use my link, which is the cheapest plan I know about! They have amazing support, helpful representatives and their site is very easy to navigate.
- Marketing! Now that you have your website, market your hobbies! Post on job or help-wanted boards. Use social media to get your services or products out there. Don’t be shy, rely on friends and family to help nudge you along, sharing your posts and helping to spread the word. Look into pay-per-click advertisements, like Google Adwords, to advertise your website. Collaborate with other bloggers, shop owners, and others in your industry.
Probably the best way to share your talents with the world, is to blog about it. This turns your hobbies into money. Top bloggers make more than 1 million dollars annually. And hey! Maybe you would settle for cool half mil! 🙂 This is a great way to turn your hobbies (food, crafting, travel, frugal living, makeup secrets, fashion tips, etc) into a significant income. It is not unusual at all for bloggers to make 30k-40k a month doing exactly what they love.
How Do You Make Money Blogging?
Welp. Lots of ways. Once you build a following (probably starting with social media) you start charging other companies to put ads on your site. You can also use Google Adsense, which is a pay-per-click platform. Every time someone comes to your site, you get paid a % from Google if they click on your ad. It is a great place to start as you build your following. Later, you can incorporate affiliate links, product reviews, freelance writing for other blogs, paid private advertising space, e-book sales and more!
What Hobbies Can I Turn into Money?
teach piano or other instrument
doing alterations for clothing
crafts (this category is huge!)
frugal living blogging
e-commerce website selling your cool stuff
personal trainer on the side
And so many more!
Turn your hobbies into a serious business (like I did!) and quit your day job! There is nothing more rewarding than getting paid to do something you are passionate about.
Click here to get started blogging about all of your passions and start earning a living from home, doing what you love.